Gary E Meldrum Humber Powerboat School Lyndale House Mill Road Donington on Bain Louth, Lincolnshire LN11 9TF Tel: 07876 685727
Welcome To Humber Powerboat School

Humber Powerboat School opened in 2006 and is based at the Humber Cruising Association, Meridian Quay, Fish Docks, Grimsby, opening onto the River Humber, on the East coast of Great Britain. In years gone by, Grimsby was the home of one of the world’s largest fishing fleets.

I have worked on or around boats, on and off, for the last 30 years, spending time in the Merchant Navy, HM Forces, and the Fire and Rescue Service. I am currently in my twenty fourth year in the Fire Service and for the past eight years have specialised in swift water rescue, swift water boat operations, and I am a qualified Advanced Powerboat Instructor.

My client base is civilian, environment agency, security operatives, wind farm industry and fire service, being the instructor and training provider for a Midland Fire Authority for the past fourteen years. We are able to provide both the RYA’s recognised courses and courses tailored to the individual's needs.

The RYA's National Powerboat Scheme is for those wanting to drive small open powerboats such as RIBs (rigid inflatable boats), sports boats and small launches. These boats are generally powered by an outboard engine. They may be used for short coastal or inland trips, fishing, and safety cover for other water sports, water skiing or as a support boat for diving.

Whether you go boating in a RIB, a sports boat or a cruiser, power boating is exhilarating, fun and fast. Attending a suitable training course is increasingly being viewed as the means to get more from your boat through a better understanding of its capabilities and of how to harness its power.

Whether you use powerboats for leisure or work, or in connection with another activity such as sailing or rescue, we have a course for you.


Practical Courses

The programme comprises a series of practical courses which can be complemented by our navigation and other one-day support courses. Use them to increase your knowledge and confidence, or as a progression to the RYA/MCA Certificates of Competence which are recognised by maritime authorities worldwide.

Most courses take place over two days and can be taken either on board a centre’s boat or your own boat. You can enter the programme at any level, provided that you have the relevant experience beforehand. Be realistic when assessing your current experience and abilities and, if in doubt, discuss your requirements with us before booking your course.


Going Abroad

If you want to drive a powerboat outside the UK you are likely to need certification, often in the form of the International Certificate of Competence. You should also be aware of the local requirements for drivers, boats and licences wherever you go and, if possible, take with you translations of the certificates that you hold.

Tel: 07876 685727


Bull Sand Fort guarding the mouth of the Humber Estuary

2012 Humber Powerboat School. All rights reserved E & O E

Luvvin Live Web Solutions


Home Services Products Technical Contact Email Us Email Us