Gary E Meldrum Humber Powerboat School Lyndale House Mill Road Donington on Bain Louth, Lincolnshire LN11 9TF Tel: 07876 685727
RYA CEVNI Tests - Inland Waters Certificate/ ICC

CEVNI stands for Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure. It is the code governing navigation on the interconnected European inland waterways and is the basis of the various countries' own regulations.

Signs, rules and procedures for navigating the European inland waterways are all included within the CEVNI code and in the same way as pleasure craft on coastal waters are expected to abide by the COLREGS, pleasure craft on the inland waterways of Europe, which in places are heavily utilised by commercial traffic are expected to know and follow the CEVNI code.

Knowing and abiding by the regulations is the best way to protect yourself and your boat.

If you require an ICC valid for use on inland waters, you must learn the CEVNI code and sit the CEVNI test at an RYA recognised training centre. The "RYA European waterways regulations (the CEVNI rules explained)" publication G17 provides the information. You need to learn the code in a clear and concise way. The CEVNI test is a short multiple choice paper - a sample paper is available and this can also be found at the back of the book.


The training centre will, confirm successful completion of the test by signing the relevant section of the ICC application form - there is no separate certificate. In addition to the passing the CEVNI test, you must present a qualifying RYA practical course completion certificate or pass an ICC practical test at an RYA recognised training centre and be eligible to be issued with an ICC.

Pre-course experience:
Knowledge of IRPCS (Road Rules) will be an advantage.

Assumed knowledge:
A knowledge of IRPCS (Road Rules) will be an advantage in addition to your knowledge gained from the book 'Euroregs for Inland waterways'.

Course content: A written test for those that want to use their craft on inland waterways in the UK or in Europe. The test is based on the CEVNI rules (European Inland Waterways regulations). This is a multiple choice question paper based on the rules laid out in the book 'Euroregs for Inland Waterways'
If you require your ICC to cover you for using your craft on Inland waters then this is the test for you.

Ability after course:

2012 Humber Powerboat School. All rights reserved E & O E

Luvvin Live Web Solutions


Home Services Products Technical Contact Email Us Email Us